Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Action Research Revisions - The highlighted pieces are recommendations made by my site supervisor.

Goals and objectives/outcomes of the research investigation
My goal throughout this process is to identify factors that influence student motivation in the classroom environment. I want to be able to identify motivational strategies/methods that will enhance performance and assist the students in becoming successful. In addition, I would like to see if there is a correlation between elevated motivation and student attendance.
Activities designed to achieve the objectives
There are many different activities that will be conducted throughout the action research process, some of which I will add as I go. I will be giving surveys to my sample group at different intervals in the year. I will also be assisting my principal with a professional learning community, or PLC, where we will conduct a book study and look at research about student motivation. In addition, I hope to implement a campus blog community that will be utilized as a journal where teachers can write reflectively about their experiences, perspectives, and questions.
 Resources and research tools needed for data gathering
Resources and research tools are the backbone of this tool. I will be using data shared through our PLC meetings, book (The Motivation Breakthrough) study analysis, and student surveys. Also utilized will be student assessment and attendance data. Cumulative data will be TAKS information and our FLEX program attendance numbers. In addition, the number of students being identified as being learning disabled or in need of tier II interventions will be identified.
Draft timeline for completion or implementation of activities
PLC meetings will be held quarterly so that the teachers will have the opportunity to put some of the learning into action. During the PLC discussions teachers will share and analyze data compiled from their own experiences and research. We will identify strategies found to be successful. Surveys will be given to student sample group quarterly. Teachers will complete webblog on a timeline as to be determined by my site supervisor.
Persons responsible for implementation of the action research planWendy Ruthart, Principal/Site Supervisor and Amy Ball will be responsible for the implementation of the action research plan.
Process for monitoring the achievement of goals and objectives
During the research process I plan to take quantitative and qualitative data by analyzing students’ assessments, surveys, and attendance records. I will also observe the reflections of the teachers during our PLC and blog posts.
Assessment instrument(s) to evaluate the effectiveness of the action research study
The assessment for this study will be an analysis of student statistics for the year. Did the students’ attendance rates increase along with their surveys on motivation? How are their assessment scores in comparison to the other data obtained from the study? Also to be included are interviews with students. Are the students more motivated now than before to perform in school? Are the students aware of what motivates them to be successful?

2 comments:

  1. I think that you have a wonderful plan outlined. It seems like this is going to be alot of work for you and the other teachers throughout the school year, but more power to you. I am not clear about what will be used to motivate the studnets. Maybe that is something that you could state more clearly, just a suggestion... Thank you for commenting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think learning in a group, such as a PLC is a great way to grow professionally. I believe you and your PLC will gain much insight into motivation by learning and practicing together.

    Just curious, but I thought it might be interesting to measure student engagement as well. What would that look like in response to the new motivational strategies? Would the student engagement increase attendance?

    ReplyDelete