Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflection of Learnings

Action research is a deliberate, reflective process that anyone can partake in to become a better practitioner. I didn't realize it at the time, but I have been a part of action research. This previous year our principal organized professional learning communities, or PLC's. Each teacher picked a couple of areas that they would like to learn more about. I loved being a part of these and feel that I learned a lot more than just being in the regular staff development. Action research is going to make me a better administrator as it will enable me to really think about things that need to be done and about changes that I have already made. Action research does involve research, but it is individualized to meet the needs of your campus and teachers. In contrast, traditional research is more of a blanket prescriptive. You may or may not be given what you need to address the areas needing attention. Action research is done from the inside. You are the one who knows the most about the strengths and weaknesses of your campus, teachers, and students. I believe that action research will be a valuable tool in my growth as a campus principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment